Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Morning Tunes

So it's obviously been way too long since I did a music post. But Sweden has been keeping me busy and time for detailed reviews has been far and in between.

Actually I shouldn't even be writing this, I have exams in a few days and I'm just procrastinating.

eh. Whatever.

Too Much by Lofty Labz
Nick Tann out of Vancouver, Canada has blown the LID off of a sweet but way to short career as a producer on Soundcloud. This tune, out for less than a month now, is not getting the attention it deserves -- as is the producer. I will be following Nick very closely, the tracks he is pushing out, though far and in between, are GOLD.

In Too Much, the intro begins with a tinny, sampled soulful tune before exploding into a grandiose shower of punchy bass rhythms accompanied by chopped brass and piano -- all backing up the aching, expertly sampled wailings of a mo'town style singer. This track, too short and sweet for its power, hits you with full force and keeps you flying through its waves of hip-hop brilliance up until its ending beat.

The One Ive Got by ChromadaData

Sticking with the soulful hip-hip theme I'd like to introduce ChromadaData -- Ian Jones of St. Augustine, Florida. A true hands-on producer, ChromadaData creates all his beats using an MPC5000, a music production machine. His music can be described as a balancing act between smooth rnb flavors and the high tension of sampled, complex contemporary beatstrumentals. Truly a producer of high caliber, his beats always carry a melody that sticks in your mind and keep you movin even after the music has stopped.

The One Ive Got showcases the eclectic, funky style that ChromadaData has developed for himself. Sampled screaming crowds, afro-rnb melodies reminiscent of gospel halls and 60's funk layered atop fast-paced, high energy hi-hats and snare drums all built on top of that familiar punchy hip-hop bass beat serve to conjure up a slick, cool-cat beatstrumental unique only to ChromadaData.

LUNOVA LABS - Vieux Nouveau by Lunova Labs

In a change of pace to a slower, more ethereal realm comes Lunova Labs. Based out of Franklin, Tennessee, LL is one of those artists I admire personally for their motivation in making music. Rather than subscribing to a particular genre or style of sound, Lunova Labs' objective in sound production is creating aesthetically pleasing soundscapes. Experimental by nature, radically designed by choice -- artists who aim for this echelon of production have a supreme level of respect in my mind.

Vieux Nouveau has been on repeat in my playlist for some time now. From the start the unique atmosphere of this track sets a precedent few can follow. A crescendo of ethereal noise opens this track leading into a deep, immersive punch of bass that is followed by white noise and vibrant, reverberating chords and tailed by piano. Just as the tone is set for an ambient styled track the bass kicks in and floating, metallic percussion brings out a melody that is set in the same mood as the mysterious piano progressions. An enigmatic, foggy soundscape soon emerges as Lunova Labs continues to tinker and experiment with the visual image produced from this conglomerate of sounds. Absolutely brilliant.

Finally, I'd like to leave with you a podcast I have started listening to. Radio Love Love, a german weekly-or-so podcast of a wide range of artists from hip-hop to trip-hop to classical piano to live performances. It's reall y a grab bag of music, but it's all high quality and excellently chosen. Check out the podcast at http://radiolovelove.blogspot.com/

So that's it for now. I have so much more to share but no time to do it in. Maybe I'll find more time now since it's getting so cold outside!

See you later space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment