I know, I know. Half a month of silence. Eh, what can I say? Finals week came around, then the first week of summer was here and all I've wanted to do was relax, see friends, and enjoy a moment of freedom. I know it's no excuse for laziness, but why do I need an excuse? It's my blog, I do what I want :P
Anyways, I have three artists for you today, and many many more in queue. (Seriously, I have two unfinished posts with 3-4 artists each, I just need to get around to writing them!)
Changing seasons change my mood for music. It always happens, regardless of what I'm listening to. This means your in for a sporadic, constantly changing selection of unrelated music, hope you're buckled in!
First is Megafaun, a decidedly unfolky folk band from the Appalachians consisting of the brothers Brad and Phil Cook and Joe Westerlund. Wandering twists and turns dominate the sound of Gather, Form & Fly, as Megafaun meanders from organic, lo-fi folk instrumentals to traditional country love-song melodies. In a style neither entirely practiced nor improvised, you will find yourself listening to heart-stretching harmonies produced by the trio before being lofted in to noisy droning of violins and broken drums.
Gather, Form & Fly, the self-titled song from the album is what caught my attention my first listen-through. Long pauses broken by sweet and sour harmonies sung by softly conversing banjo and guitar, cymbals and drums quietly interjecting, yet supporting the mysterious melody, and a grand finale composed of peacefully powerful vocal harmonies create such an effect in my mind I can nothing but close my eyes and listen.
Juju Sound + NĂ¼ Latin @ Mini-mal 110506 (Audio taken from Makala's Boom Shaka Laka Radio Show) by DJ Andres Leguizamon
Second on the list for today, in a completely different hemisphere of musical talent, is the ceaselessly amazing DJ Andres Leguizamon. Playing at his regular venue at the Mini-Mal, Andres has thrown together a mix of latin groove, nu-latin, and jazzy beats that irresistibly command you to dance.
Look no further if you are seeking out high-quality beats from south of the border, there is none better than Andres. Check out his soundcloud for more.
Spring Mix 2011 (Electronic Latin) by g-funkster
Lastly, recommended to me by Andres, is a cool tropical mix just in time for summer. Though the title suggests spring is the recommended season to listen to this latin-fueled throwdown of hip beats and humid sounds, just about anywhere on Earth with a temperature of 80 F will do this mix justice.
Based in south west England, G-Funk is an afro-driven enthusiast and expert on the dancier side of the southern hemisphere. Though his blog and history of public tracks is short in time, it does not lack quality. Make sure you check out g-funkster's soundcloud and blog for more tropical beats.
No comments:
Post a Comment